Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Maureen Chasse (June 28, 1947 through April 21, 2010)

Maureen Chasse (June 28, 1947 through April 21, 2010)


“I love you and I will be fine, Those are the last words that my mother, one amazingly loving and strong woman uttered to us before she passed on April 21, 2010. She fought through her illness with unimaginable strength and courage, all the while making sure her beloved family was comforted each step of the way. She never ever complained about how ill she was or how much her illness was wearing her down. Her only complaint was the fact that she might not be able to see her children and grandchildren continue to grow up. Mom is just going to be in a different place then what we would have wanted, however she will be doing it side by side with her mother and father, and also a long side with the lord.

My mother and father were married for over forty three wonderful years. We were so blessed to have such wonderful caring parents. They taught us how to love, and most importantly how to raise a family. They could have cared less about themselves, they only cared that their family was happy, healthy, and well taken care of.

Look at a typical holiday in Roger and Maureen’s house. Neither on could sit still until everyone had exactly what they needed. I can hear my mom now telling my father,” to get out of the kitchen and sit down, Roger.” That was my mother, always wanting to make sure her family was taken care of.

Through my mother’s whole ordeal, I have never seen a love shared between two people like my mother and father had for one another. They were each other’s best friend and companion and we all learned that even after forty three years, love can keep growing and growing.

My mother’s proudest days where the births of her children and grandchildren. From the day my brother, sister and I were born, her love was so infectious to each of us it made us the people we are today. Some might say her greatest accomplishments in her life were the devotion she showed as a friend to all who came to know her, or by the countless hours she devoted to the community through her work with so many organizations. I believe her greatest accomplishment was how she raised her children and grandchildren. Each of us always felt that we were my mother’s favorite. We all believe that deep in our hearts. Moms’ only favorite was the person she was with at the time. It is so rare to find someone that can make everyone feel so special. When we needed someone to turn to for advice or just a hug when we made mistakes, my mother stood beside us like a gladiator. She did not care why we went astray, she only cared that we got back on the right path. Through her love and guidance we always did by getting on her back as she lead the way. She would not let us fail and thankfully we didn’t.

No matter if it was a game or a band event, my mother and father attended each one of our activities and loved being there not just because we were there children, but because our activities were so important to us. If it was important to us, it was important to my parents.

The day Autumn was born was such an extraordinary day for my parents. I have never seen two people as excited in all my life. Their little angel had come from heaven and no two grandparents could have been happier. Mom and Dad got to learn grandparenthood from the best. My mother’s parents were what Webster’s Dictionary define grandparenthood to be. Ironically, the day Autumn was born was the first day they met my wife Maureen at a New England Patriot game no less. Right from the beginning my mother told me I have finally met someone so special. Over the next four years came Benjamin, Keegan and soon to be Brogan. Mom beamed at the way her grandchildren were being raised by two wonderful mothers and one great Auntie. I know Tracy, Kelly and Maureen learned so much from my mother. Love, caring and understanding the smallest details are my mom’s greatest influence on the girls. From my grandparents, to my parents and now to us, being the best parent we can be will keep our mother’s memory alive for ever.

Some of our greatest memories came from the parking lot at Foxboro Stadium getting ready to cheer on our beloved New England Patriots. The Chasse family was so excited each and every Sunday to gather our family and friends before every game to share our stories, eat lots of food and at times have a few spirits now and then. My mom had a few bouts over the years with one of Roger’s potent Bloody Mary’s before the game. Getting her to her seat was a chore in itself. Whether the Patriots won or lost really did not matter to us. We had to teach my mother that it wasn’t always Bledsoe or Brady’s fault that the Patriots lost. Sometimes it was the defense we used to tell her and she would always smile and say, “Nah, it’s the quarterback.” Seriously, just being at each game with her family and her friends was the most import thing to her each week.

If anything could come of this week in a positive manner it was the way mom had taught us to come together in a crisis situation. I now know why mom had sixteen referee uniforms in her closet when I looked in it this week. Mom had always played peacemaker to each of us over the years. Through the good times and through the bad times mom was always our rock. Since Wednesday each of us have come together as one and loved and supported each other so we could be like mom and be fine. Mom taught us our last life’s lesson this week. Being someone’s rock will get our family through anything that God throws at us. Everyone who my mother came in contact with has a piece of her in their hearts and it now our job as her family and friends to spread to the world what made my mother who she was.

mom's tribute page
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Maureen-Chasse&lc=4658&mid=4228455

drcrischasse@me.com

No comments: