Monday, December 7, 2009

Asking Mr Claus


I decided to take a trip to an exotic place to get some knowledge I desperately needed. Well maybe not exotic, as I decided to go to the coldest place on earth. I went on an excursion, dog sled and all, to find that knowledge, and I needed a meet and greet with a man named Claus. This has been a dream of mine since my son was born in April. I was going on an adventure to obtain knowledge. I so enjoy a great adventure.


I was looking for this meet and greet to find the only other man who never let’s down a child. My father never let me down and as a new father I needed to figure out how my father did this and the only person I could think of to explain this to me was Mr. Claus. Santa Claus that is.

When I arrived at the North Pole, I was absolutely freezing to death. I am a man who wears shorts and flip flops all winter long and yet I was chilled to the bone. Who in their right mind would live in a place that makes your teeth chatter and your knees knock? I was so hoping this meeting is worth it.

As I was let into this incredible happy place all I could see was the most amazing brightness in the decor and the happiness in the faces of the smallest elves I have ever seen. Actually, the only elves I have ever seen. I could not get the smile off of my face as the happiness abound was infectious.

While I was given a tour of the facility, I was introduced to the sweetest grandmotherly type woman I have ever met. Mrs. Claus was an absolute dynamite lady. The milk and cookies were absolutely fabulous. She explained to me that she put Mr. Claus on a diet as his weight has become a concern. Stern talk by this sweet lady.

I explained to her why I was there and I thanked her profusely for allowing me to come into her home and ask her husband advice on how to make a child live a life of upmost happiness.

Mr. Claus was busy checking some lists as Mrs. Claus and I continued to make small talk. When Mr. Claus was finished, he came into the Claus family study and gave me the biggest and warmest man hug that I had ever received. Mrs. Claus gave me a kiss on my cheek and I was alone with the big cheese.

The first thing that came to mind was that he was not as fat as I had thought he would be. I wanted to ask him if he started weight watchers, but I was here for advice and that is all I needed from him. Even though, I was awfully interested about his weight loss plan. He did look fabulous.

I explained to Mr. Claus how I wanted to be a father like mine was to me. I told him my son Keegan was the world to me. He is the twinkle in my eye and the happiest little baby I have ever seen. I wanted to make sure that he will be that way the rest of his life. Mr. Claus gave me just one piece of advice. He said, “Just by going to the extreme of getting to the North Pole and asking the question of how to make your child happy was enough right there.” He gave me another man hug and he walked me out to my dog sled.

On my way back home I pondered Mr. Claus’s advice in my head over and over again. Why is just asking how the answer? It must have hit me like a ton of bricks because I became totally overwhelmed with emotion. Mr. Claus was basically telling me it is all about giving a care. Caring enough to ask the question and finding the answer with a whole lot of love behind it, is what making a child happy is all about.



Please feel free to post a comment after each and every column.
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/drcchasse
or send a friend request on facebook http://www.facebook.com/cris.chasse

E-mail me at drcchasse@verizon.net to get on our mailing list.

Please forward to your friends and colleagues to enjoy. The more readers I have, the more money that is raised for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.



E-mail: drcchasse@verizon.net



voice 206-350-6437

No comments: