Friday, September 25, 2009

Reality Bites

I was never a big science fiction fan growing up and I certainly was never into any type of GI Joe, Commando type adventures either. I lived in the here and now. I watched sports, sports and more sports and I played more than I watched. Over the last few years I have found that I am enjoying the Supernatural more and more.

The supernatural or science fiction is a genre of fiction in which the stories often tell about science and technology of the future. It is important to note that science fiction has a relationship with the principles of science—these stories involve partially true-partially fictitious laws or theories of science. It should not be completely unbelievable, because it then ventures into the genre fantasy.

The plot creates situations different from those of both the present day and the known past. Science fiction texts also include a human element, explaining what effect new discoveries, happenings and scientific developments will have on us in the future.

The science fiction genre, an exciting collection of intellectual and physical adventure, overlaps a great deal with all other genres. As a result, it is very difficult to define the genre with one simple, straightforward definition that clarifies its relation to other genres. In particular, there is great debate about the differences and overlap between fantasy and science fiction. Science fiction fans, even those most entrenched in the genre, often have very strong and very divergent views on what constitutes a science or supernatural fiction work.

In general, science fiction is considered to be a genre that explores the question "what if?". It continually investigates moral, philosophical and technological possibilities by creating new and exciting realities. Expressing the idea that science fiction deals with "scientific topics, space travel, aliens and recognizably Earth-variant worlds or life forms that have not been touched by magic". Time travel is also a common theme in many science fiction novels.

With roots in the nineteenth century, science fiction or the supernatural is often recognized for its long and rich history as well as its intellectual content. It is also recognized for its diversity; within the genre there is great variation in the topics, themes and length of science fiction works. The following is a list of many of the themes that are covered within the genre of science fiction: Hard Science, New Wave, Ecology, Messianic/Religious, Dystopia/Utopia, Apocalypse, Alternate and Parallel Worlds, Time Travel, Time Warp, Lost Worlds, Immortality, Psionic Powers, Space Opera, Galactic Empires, Militaristic, Space Travel, Alien Beings, Computers, Automation, Cyberpunk, Robots, Androids, Cyborgs, Social Criticism, The Superhuman, Women in Science Fiction, Love and Sex, Detectives in Science Fiction, and Science Fantasy.

I read my first Dean Koontz novel about five years ago. I found an old book at a cabin I had rented from 1990 called the Bad Place. I was riveted with every turn of the page and I was a bit scared as my mind raced as I read word after word. From an old football player that is a big admission to make. When I finished the novel I was agonizing over the story for days. Never have I had such an experience after a book. I could not tell immediately if I even enjoyed it or if it was just something that was so out of the norm for me that I had to try another of Koontz’s books. I read about four more of his books and I had the same reaction every time. These books kept my interest and I raced to finish each and every one of them.

Steven King was my next author that I started to get in to, but I found his style to be a bit on the darker side than I wanted to be. Bone chilling is the only thing that comes to mind when I read his work. Horror is not for me. I did not find them to be entertaining and I just brushed aside my curiosity in the Supernatural for a little while and went back to the Jonathan Kellerman and Patricia Cornwell novels.

In the summer of 2005 I started seeing previews for a new television show called Lost. The clips of the show looked interesting enough and I watched the first episode. My god, I was hooked from day one. Every week I watched intently to try and bring some new fodder for all those water cooler conversations I had with colleagues the next day. The show was like a puzzle each week and the harder I tried to solve the puzzle the more frustrated I became. The frustration was absolutely fun for me and I know the show was doing exactly what it was supposed to do; it makes you think about the obvious only to never end up with the obvious.

Another show that has caught my interest is Fringe. An X-file type show, Fringe is a show that stretches the imagination weekly. While the show is over the top some weeks, Fringe is well worth the time.

The Supernatural for me is not about spaceships or about creatures from the Black Lagoon. I want real life situations where the out of the ordinary happens and you are left wondering if what you are seeing can really happen. The Supernatural is a thinking man’s genre and I love to think.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/drcchasse
E-mail me at drcchasse@verizon.net to get on our mailing list.

Please forward to your friends and colleagues to enjoy. The more readers I have, the more money that is raised for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.


voice 206-350-6437

No comments: