Thursday, July 22, 2010

My love of "Chick Flicks"


I love movies. I probably have seen more movies than Roger Ebert has. Today, when I was thinking of ideas of what to write this evening, before I started to get into my novel, and someone asked me what my favorite movie was. Without hesitation, I said Mama Mia, with Meryl Streep. Now that I think about it I have seen the movie at least thirty times and have seen the Broadway show about ten times.

My mother used to play ABBA records over and over again constantly when I was a young child. When I first went to see the Broadway show right after 9/11, with my parents and really close friends, I felt an instant connection to the play. It was not just the music that suckered me in, but the shear uplifting experience the show brought to us. When we needed an uplifting experience to get all of us out of the rut we were in, it was Mama Mia that did the trick.
Movies are supposed to take you away from reality for a few hours and let your imagination run wild. I recently went to see the A-Team all by myself about two weeks ago. The critics absolutely blasted the movie as being infantile and juvenile. I spent two hours with a smile on my face. Having Jessica Biel in the movie certainly did not hurt in the smile department. The movie brought me back to my childhood when Mister T and George Peppard ruled my television set.
There really have been some terrible movies that I watched recently. I ask myself all of the time when I see a bad movie, ‘Why did I spend two hours watching that crappola?” the answer hits me almost instantaneously, I watch them because I just strive for that release of the pressures of life. Even the most terribly made movies have some type of healing powers.

Ok, so why the love of chick flicks? I have spent many a night thinking about why I enjoy these movies and it hit me today before I started this column. I am for certain it is because they always end with the main characters smiling at the end of the movie. When the main characters have that happy moment I guess so do I.

Besides these so called “Chick Flicks” I enjoy other types of movies as well. If you know me I love Steven Segal Movies till this day. Even when he turned to a tub of lard I stilled watch every single one of his movies. Jason Stratham is to me the new Segal without all of the fried chicken around his waist, thank you very much.
Adam Sandler brings me my fill of comic relief. I have never seen a bad Adam Sandler movie, ever. Always with the same cast, especially Rob Schneider, Sandler scores with each and every movie.

Jackie Chan is another one of my personnel favorites as well. I used to watch Kung Fu Theater as a child every Saturday morning. Chan’s stunts are legendary in the movie business. Even when he played a nanny, I watched and enjoyed his work.

The dumber the movie the more I enjoy the movie. Weekend at Bernie’s was a childhood favorite of mine. I told you I like dumb down movies. Any movie that has a dead man that walks rates four stars on my movie list.

Movies are a great release for sure and it as always been for me. Whether it if at a showcase or when the Netflix package shows up in my mailbox there is always this sense of excitement that goes through me. Sometimes the previews are the best part of the experience; however I really do not care. Give me two hours with some popcorn and I become a happy person.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/drcchasse

Or send a friend request on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Well-Thought-out-Thoughts-and-Opinions-with-a-Bunch-of-Useless-Information/103470293040320?ref=sgm

E-mail me at drcrischasse@me.com to get on our mailing list.

Please forward to your friends and colleagues to enjoy. The more readers I have, the more money that is raised for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

To receive a copy of the Hardcover or softcopy of the Well Thought out Thoughts and Opinions with a Bunch of Useless Information book, please send an e-mail to drcrischasse@me.com

voice 206-350-4670

No comments: