Friday, October 16, 2009

Making Laughter Count


When was the last time someone made you laugh so hard you still remember everything about the experience? I got a message from an old friend last night telling me that I was the guy who used to make him laugh that way when we were in school. He then proceeds to tell me that I have been keeping that side of me hidden as I have used this column to get others to know about the things I think about most.


Of course, knowing how I over think things tenfold I decided to find out what was so funny about me. I was hoping it was not my looks, as I think I have held up pretty well over the test of time. Fundamentally, the only thing wrong with me right now is I have to watch my sugar intake, my knees are a mess, and my left testicle is just a little lower than my right. Other than those two things, I feel pretty good about how I look. My hair is real with the Grecian Formula that I have used since I was twenty. I just lost some weight and my eyes are getting a wee bit worse, but I feel pretty good about the overall package. If I could get the hair to stay on my head and stop growing where it is not supposed to I will be alright.

I know I cannot tell a joke to save my life. With all the thoughts that go on in my head I cannot for the life of me remember the punch line of jokes that I hear. The only one I remember easily is one that my grandfather told me. He told me once that there were three guys that went into a bar….oh geez, I forgot that one too. It is not the joke telling I guess.

Maybe I tell good stories when I am at a party. Everyone loves to hear a funny story now and then. The way I tell a story at times can be a bit funny and intriguing. Most of the time my stories turn to heated debates about politics, life, science, or current events, so I can pretty much rule this out too.

I am a bit baffled then here and I am really trying to figure this out. Am I more concerned that I am not living up to my potential as a standup comedian as my friends says or have I just not put a finger on it yet?

I know one of my best traits is that I have a lot of passion for making people feel good about themselves. I love to make people laugh and I certainly love to listen to others even though I am a bit long winded at times. I am a good listener and I do like to inject an opinion as I listen to someone now and then. Even though I do realize opinions are like buttholes and everyone has one. (Hey I used butthole because their might be someone eighteen or younger reading this).

It is a bit heart wrenching to me that someone needs me to brighten their day. Why in the world would anyone need little ole me to give them the only real laugh that they will have in a day? Is it that people are too afraid to not be politically correct. I know I am a huge proponent of locker room humor. I find the shock factor in a dialogue with someone to be embarrassing at first, but a guaranteed winner when it comes to making a person laugh. When you shock someone it opens up even the most straight arrow person. Comments like, “How are your onions today”, to your mom (onions are boobies people) always gets the biggest laugh out of my mom. I said it was shock factor that makes it funny, didn’t I? Telling a person who is a bit on the older side that they look “hot today” is another surefire way to crack a smile out of someone. It works and it is so worth saying it when it has the right result.

I have never been afraid to go the extra mile to make someone laugh. Children have always been comfortable around me because I can get down to their level. My philosophy is if you out silly the child and you will get a smile. Children just want to see an adult act a bit “goofy” once in awhile to see that adults know how to have fun too.

I guess that I make my friend laugh because I am who I am. I do not deviate from being the person I am. I grew up with a smile on my face, I tend to be a bit immature at times in a good way, and most importantly I stay true to my beliefs in that I do not take myself seriously. Maybe I just have a naturally funny vibe about me that reaches out to people or maybe people laugh at me instead of with me. Either way, I will take making someone laugh every time.

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/drcchasse

E-mail me at drcchasse@verizon.net to get on our mailing list.
Please forward to your friends and colleagues to enjoy. The more readers I have, the more money that is raised for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

e-mail: drcrischasse@verizon.net

voice 206-350-6437

No comments: