Thursday, August 13, 2009

Celebrities are not heroes.

Mr. Tom Brady returns to the field tonight with the New England Patriots as the Patriots play the Eagles of Philadelphia in their first preseason game. It has been a year since he was on the field because of a knee injury and during this past year his life has become fodder for the tabloids with his marriage to Giesele and his life with his baby momma Bridget Moynihan. We have learned more about Tom’s personal life than his rehab. I do not care if Giesele is pregnant or not but I do care about getting him back on the football field as I hope that Mr. Brady can lead my beloved Patriots to their fourth championship this decade. Brady is a football player to me nothing more and nothing less.

Today’s society is so involved in the lives of so called celebrities that we have forgotten who really are true heroes and idols. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, and friends are and should be role models and our heroes not Hollywood stars or athletes. Just because you can act or throw a ball does not give you the credentials to be idolized. Sure they should be given respect because they are the best in their craft but having talent, money or prestige does not make you a role model.

Sit down and look deeply at some of these reality show stars and you will you see some people who have some serious fundamental issues in their lives. We as a society follow these individuals like they are our family and friends. Tell me that you want one of your children to be part of a show called Celebrity Rehab or Baby Makes Eight. Brittney Spears can entertain and she certainly can make plenty of money however, she fails miserably at being a mom and someone to look up to.

One of the things about my parents and my grandparents that have always stayed with me is the quality time they spent with my brother, sister and I. My parents never ever missed a game, a school play, recital, spelling bee, and every other event that we participated in. My dad never said no to a game of catch nor did my mom say no to a board game. They not only never ever complained, as I tell you some of these events are brutal especially my violin days, ouch! Encouragement and love was the prevalent theme at each of these events from my family. We love our parents because they are our parents but we adore our parents and grandparents because we are adored by them.

I did not just wake up one day and proclaim that my parents are my true role models. I hope to be half the parent they are. When I was younger I idolized everyone with either a three hundred batting average or a 25 point scoring average in the NBA. Posters of Larry Bird graced every wall of my room. I read his book over and over again. When Larry retired I read about how he was estranged from his daughter. I also learned how he might not be the nicest guy in the world to the people that looked up to him. I am not trying to be a martyr here but, I could not even imagine missing one second of one game of a child of mine.

Charles Barkley once did a commercial saying that he is not a role model, parents are role models. He was literally crucified by the media. Charles was a phenomenal NBA player and has more good moments than bad as a commentator on TNT in his personal life arrests for prostitution, drunk driving, and throwing a man through a bar window pretty much solidifies to me he is not a role model I want my children to look up to. You were so right Charles when you said to all that would listen you are no role model.

Whether it is Barkley, “Gansta Rappers”, Hollywood actors, or Reality Stars, nowhere is it written they we need to idolize these people. Would you want your child to come home wearing one glove, with a change of skin color, wearing a prosthetic nose?

There is a big debate in this country about some of the billboards welcoming home our men and women in the military as they are called heroes. Trust me I bleed red, white, and blue and I will absolutely call each one of these individuals a hero. They are heroes to our nation. They make us proud not because they risk their lives to protect ours like policemen, fireman, etc, but because they do it and do not look for the glory in it. When was the last time you had a celebrity do something without a camera there?

Over 19 percent of the children in this country live without a parent in their lives and over 36 percent of children live in broken homes. This is where mentors need to step in and be that hero or idol. Big Brothers and Big Sisters, local youth groups and so many others have tried to fill the void when parents cannot. Mentors need to give these children what my parents gave me. That hug after a bad game or that high five when that three run home run clears the fence. I remember vividly hearing my parents and my grandfather scream from the stands as I returned to the sidelines when I walked off the field after making that key interception. I was so proud when I looked up into the stands knowing that that interception was not just for me but for all the times they carted me back and forth to practice. Being a parent is never easy, I know that, but by being there through the good and the bad makes one a true hero and role model.




Footnote:
Send me a note on who your role model is/was or comments to drcchasse@verizon.net. I promise to read everyone that is sent.

No comments: